Outdoor Classrooms, Playground Shelters & Gazebos
According to The Council for Learning outside the Classroom (The lotc), the places where learning happens can have a significant effect on how a young person engages with a subject or an idea. Our unique timber canopies provide the perfect environment for outdoor classrooms.
Unique Thatched Shade & Shelter Structures
FEATURES OF OUR OUTDOOR CLASSROOMS
- Eco-Friendly (may vary due to weather conditions)
- 100% UVC protection
- 99% waterproof roof, 100% when used with a protective membrane
- Cost Effective
- Durable Scandinavian Redwood
- 30 year guarantee on building timbers*
- Over 22 years of experience
- Protected against rain, rot & decay
- Rethatching or roofing service available
- Made in the UK
- Staffordshire based company with showroom
Our unique thatched gazebos are the perfect solution to promote learning and encourage creativity in a natural learning environment. When used as an outdoor classroom, schools have a fantastic opportunity to do something creative with their outdoor area while improving the well being of their students. Our buildings are made from top quality Scandinavian Redwood and laminated to prevent shrinkage and warping. All timbers are treated and guaranteed for 30 years against rot and decay when treated as per the terms and conditions.
Learning Outside the Classroom Changes Lives
Ofsted has produced a range of documents and case studies to demonstrate the importance of learning outside the classroom and support schools to develop learning outside the classroom opportunities for the pupils.
Key findings in the report highlighted;
- that learning outside of the classroom contributed significantly to raising standards and improving pupils personal, social and emotional development.
- learning outside was most successful when integrated as an integral element of long term curriculum planning and when closely linked with classroom activities.
The clear message to come from ofsteds findings, was that they want schools to shout about their learning outside of the classroom activities, not to see them as an extra or add on. Guidance is available on using the pupil premium for learning outside of the classroom initiatives.
OUTDOOR CLASSROOM USES
- Create an outdoor learning environment
- Parent or student waiting area
- Performance area for drama or music lessons
- Art or environmental lessons
- Foundation phase learning
- multi use across all core subject in the whole curriculum
- Shelter in winter
- Shade in Summer
- Brings students closer to nature
- Enhances wellbeing
- Fresh environment for alert students
- Positive action in Ofsted ratings
Our playground shelters and gazebos consist of posts and roofing structure (plus chosen roofing material). Sizes for our circular gazebos are below, should you require a quote on a bespoke building including additional sizes and shapes, please contact us on 01538 380 984.
Oval structures are very popular due to the sheer size and multi functional uses. Many of our customers use the two sides of the building for separate tasks such as teaching and storage on one side, and sitting and observation on the other. The back panels are also perfectly positioned for blackboards with adequate floor space for a full classroom of children during a lesson. Oval buildings are sold initially as posts and roof package with optional extras available on request. Please see the lower section of this page for accessories.
Outdoor Learning Environments Case Studies
The below highlights a small subsection of the work that we have done with local and National schools to achieve their grade marking on learning outside of the classroom. Learn more by clicking on each project to understand what the objective of each school was including enrichment, shelter and playground enhancement.
OPTIONAL VALUE ADDED ACCESSORIES
Marine Grade Canvas Panels
Either full or glazed panels to protect the inside of the gazebo from the elements. This makes the area an all round usable classroom for teachers and students.
Solid Timber Infills
Fully or partially enclose the building with the use of solid or glazed infills. Consider bi-fold doors to allow the outdoor shelter to be fully open on warmer days.
The building is supplied as posts and roof only, however we can supply a timber base in addition to the standard. This means the building doesn’t need to be concreted into the ground for stability. You could also feature an artificial grass to give a more aesthetic feel or comfortable seating area for students on the floor.
Handrails can be supplied to curve around the building if needed – this could be full or partial. Gates on the front are also available on request.
We offer a wide range of roofing options including natural thatch, synthetic thatch, a combination of the two and cedar shingle tiles. View the materials pages on our website for more information.